Monday, January 28, 2013

A Cambodian Christmas


Merry Cambodian Christmas Ya'll!

OK, so it's a bit late but the thought counts.

Cambodia is a country that I am definitely going back to one day. It is a warm, friendly place that doesn't seem too hurried or crowded. This impression of course, is coloured by the fact that I live in Bangladesh, the most crowded, manic place I've ever been too, anything seems relaxed in comparison!
But really, Cambodia is pretty relaxed in my opinion. Staying with a great friend who lives there also coloured my opinion as I had a local guide, someone to show us all the good places etc, which makes for an extremely pleasant experience in a new land. Thanks Mels :)

I greatly enjoyed many things in Cambodia and Vietnam, most of them food related. I wouldn't be a real Bird if I wasn't obsessed with food...good coffee, almond croissants, mojitos, prawns, noodles, green coconuts, more good coffee, ham (now that's something thats impossible to get here!) Christmas cake, iced tea, green mango salad...the list goes on! I'm fairly certain that I put on weight during this trip, and I came back with considerably more luggage than when I left Bangladesh. 

Other highlights included...wearing shorts and dresses (I don't get to do that here so it's terribly exciting, although a bit gross considering my legs hadn't seen the sun in a year and were seriously pasty!) going on tuk tuks (they beat a rickshaw any day in terms of comfort, although a rickshaw is probably more 'exciting' in that you are more in constant danger!) getting my shoes fixed on the street by a crazy Vietnamese man, lots of market shopping, swimming in the ocean (AMAZING! Man I miss the beach) tandem bike riding by the seaside, eating icecream made to look like sushi in Ho Chi Minh City on New Years Eve, then getting yelled at by a policeman on the way back to our hostel for crossing the road in a funny place, getting Christmas fingernails painted, and lots of laughing with friends. 

Here's a few photos....

Christmas nails!

Green coconut deliciousness

Christmas fruit

Cambodia...Buddhist temples and razor wire.


The BEACH! In Vietnam

Doesn't really do it justice, but this is New Years Eve madness in Ho Chi Minh...

Sushi icecream!






No comments:

Post a Comment