Saturday, March 3, 2012

Rain!

I don't generally like the rain, but the other day it rained in Dhaka and it seemed like the most wonderful thing on earth!

It has been so dusty here and the pollution has been awful, but as soon as it rained, the air instantly seemed cleaner. It probably wasn't cleaner at all but it just felt so much better. All the dust was washed off the trees and their leaves were green again, there were less people in the street, no one was burning rubbish by the side of the road, it was a bit cooler and it made me very, very happy! I must remember to be grateful for these small things as here it can be very easy to focus on the things that annoy or frustrate me, of which there are many. But there are also loads of things that are beautiful and amazing in this country, one of which is rain in the middle of the dry season! I am sure that when the monsoon hits I shall be complaining about the excessive rain, but at the moment, a small amount of rain does wonders for my mental health!

I think that the Bengali people are made from sugar, as they seem to think that if they go out in the rain they will melt. On our way to school I saw rickshaw pullers with plastic bags on their heads to keep off the rain, their passengers covered in tarpaulins, and umbrellas springing up like mushrooms along the street, all this for about an hours worth of drizzly rain. (nothing compared to New Zealand's recent 'weather bomb' I'm sure!)

Since the rain it has been dry again, and the dust has settled back onto everything, and I look forward to the next time it rains! However, since the weather has been getting hotter, the pollution is less and my horrible 'smokers' or pollution cough has been getting better by the day, for which I am truly grateful. Life is good.

Here are some photos of the rain-it was so exciting I took my camera out while waiting for our breakfast to be cooked at the roadside stall just down from school.

The leaves are GREEN!

If you look closely you can see a guy with a plastic bag on his head.

Umbrellas, scarves...it wasn't even cold!



1 comment:

  1. Hey Carly! Man yah for the rain! I hear you on the way that the air seems cleaner! I think our cities are similar... I can not get over fires on the side of the road. And its so nice when you can't smell smoke. Thinking of you and hoping more rain comes your way. I imagine it cools things down a bit too. Take care!

    ReplyDelete